Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

Billie Bainbridge

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Billie Bainbridge

Post by jean on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:20 am

Billie’s Story

Billie Bainbridge was born on 25 April 2007. She lives in Exeter with her parents Sam and Terri and 2 year old brother Joe. This little family has been hit twice by cancer in one year. In February 2011 mum Terri was diagnosed with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy and a large tumour was removed. She then had further surgery to remove lymph nodes. She recently completed a course of chemotherapy and is having a five week course of radiotherapy in August.

While Terri was undergoing chemotherapy, Billie began to show signs that all was not well. At first we all thought it was just a reaction to her mum’s serious illness. Then at the beginning of June she started getting wobbly, eyes drooping, difficulty swallowing etc..

Her GP told Sam and Terri to take her straight to hospital, not waiting for a referral. The same week she had a MRI brain scan and was diagnosed with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, an inoperable tumour in the brain stem. This is the worst type of brain cancer. It is too dangerous to operate because so many of the brain’s vital functions are located in the brain stem.

Only about 40 children in the UK are diagnosed with this form of brain tumour each year. The survival rates are extremely poor with many children not surviving more than eighteen months. Radiotherapy can be used in an attempt to shrink the tumour and reduce symptoms, but frequently the tumour starts growing again within six to nine months, this time more aggressively.

Following the brain scan and diagnosis there was a desperate search to find a hospital which could start treatment immediately. After a few days Billie was admitted to University College London Hospital where she completed a six week course of radiotherapy in early August. While this has been going on Terri had to come back to Exeter for her chemotherapy treatment!

Family and friends are devastated. It seems unbelievable that one little family could be hit by serious cancer twice in a matter of months.

Billie’s family have been searching for further treatment anywhere in the world which will improve her chances of surviving this terrible cancer. With really helpful advice from Joseph Foote Trust, a national child cancer charity, discussions are currently taking place with two clinics in the United States which have treatments that have shown success in similar cases.

The costs are huge, likely to be at least £100,000 and could be more.

Sam and Terri’s friends have set up this website and fundraising campaign to raise money for Billie’s treatment. A Trust has been established in Billie’s name and any money not needed for her treatment will be used to support research into this devastating type of brain cancer.

We have to try anything we can for Billie. Please help us raise the funds to send her to America for treatment which could improve her chance of beating this dreadful disease.
.Events
Billie’s Butterfly Ball

Thank you to everyone who attended the Ball on Saturday 20th August. The event was an incredible success raising a huge amount of money. The actual amount is still to be officially counted and there will be more details to follow.

Again, thank you to everyone.
Donation
To make a donation please click on the link below and it will take you to Billie’s page on the Just Giving website.

Then follow the instructions – very easy!

This way the Fund can benefit from Gift Aid. On behalf of Billie, thank you so much.

www.billiebutterflyfund.org

jean
Master
Master

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Billie Bainbridge

Post by dianeh on Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:57 pm

THat is so sad. My thoughts are with Billie and her mum. I hope that they can both prevail against their illnesses.

Sometimes life just isnt fair.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I agree with you dianeh, thanks for your topic jean.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 5571
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

So sad and horrendous .....poor family.

Always annoys me that for good people life can throw up these dreadful things.....then you see assholes thriving...without a care.

Will place link on PFA and Stopthemyths...
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 am

Thanks Catkins. Every bit of publicity will help. Billie is my daughter's boyfriend's little cousin. She is a beautiful little girl and needs this trip to America even if there is only the slightest hope of being cured.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32 am

I've just Googled Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma and I wish I hadn't. This is what I have found ...

In their quest for a cure, DIPG children must move from one experimental protocol to another enduring treatments with many side-effects which would be unacceptable with any other diagnosis. The cruelty of this disease cannot be denied. Sparing their cognitive abilities, DIPG slowly robs children of their motor functions resulting in partial paralysis, loss of voice and sight and finally ending with an inability to eat and breathe. It is both heart wrenching and painful as they are fully aware of their decline often until their last day.

I hope Billie's mummy and daddy manage to get enough money to take her to America, because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh Jean

I also wish you had not found that.

I was upset enough knowing it was an inoperable and fatal tumour, I didnt really need to know the rest.

Hopefully Billie will get to the US and that she responds to the treatment.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:06 pm

I agree with all comments above.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:00 am

The latest on Billie - She is now in America having the treatment. It is very invasive, and she is being a very brave little girl. We are having a Butterfly Ball on 25 November to raise money for her continuing treatment.
Please go on her website www.billiebutterflyfund.org to read her blog and see how she is coping.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Thank you jean, all the best for Billie.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:37 am

jean wrote:The latest on Billie - She is now in America having the treatment. It is very invasive, and she is being a very brave little girl. We are having a Butterfly Ball on 25 November to raise money for her continuing treatment.
Please go on her website www.billiebutterflyfund.org to read her blog and see how she is coping.

Aww poor little lamb........praying for her to succeed.

(On a down note though...Sadie who used to be on here and now on PFA had a young son with exactly the same thing -he didn't survive. This was quite a long time ago, so lets keep everything crossed that treatments are much improved). Beautiful rose
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:56 am

Can you remember how long ago Sadie's little boy had the disease Cat? As you say, I really hope that the treatment has improved since then and the chance of survival is much greater. It's strange that when something happens close to you, you find out how many other children have had a disease you have never heard of before.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:38 pm

jean wrote:Can you remember how long ago Sadie's little boy had the disease Cat? As you say, I really hope that the treatment has improved since then and the chance of survival is much greater. It's strange that when something happens close to you, you find out how many other children have had a disease you have never heard of before.

Just checked her posts ....it was over 35 years ago....her poor little one died 10 days after the treatment.....I really do hope things have moved on and improved treatment is available.
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks Cat - If anything that makes me feel much better. 35 years is a long time so hopefully they have developed a new treatment since then. If you have looked on her website you will see what a vibrant little girl Billie is, just like Madeleine. Let's all hope that both survive their terrible ordeals.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:09 pm

jean wrote:Thanks Cat - If anything that makes me feel much better. 35 years is a long time so hopefully they have developed a new treatment since then. If you have looked on her website you will see what a vibrant little girl Billie is, just like Madeleine. Let's all hope that both survive their terrible ordeals.

Yes didn't realise it was that long ago either Jean, so hopefully things have moved on.

I did read how Billie and her family were doing on their website. They seem like strong good people such a shame. Billie is a beautiful little girl.

Please god or whoever decides these things let them both pull through.... Beautiful rose
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 am

We've just had the good news that Peter Kay is going to do two performances to raise funds for Billie at the Opera House, Blackpool next Thursday and Friday night. Also a Radiohead signed guitar was sold on Ebay last week for £9549 to someone in Venice.

This is the latest news on Billie's condition ...

Billie has had a difficult few days. Last week she started to show symptoms similar to when she was first diagnosed in June, before radiotherapy. We were really worried that this was a sign that the tumour had started to grow. However, on 11 November she had a brain scan and the good news is that the tumour has not grown any more. This is a huge relief. Doctors decided to give her a break from her treatment for a week or so and she was given a short course of steroids. This has led to some improvement and she will continue with her anteneoplaston treatment next week. We were told to expect this sort of pattern during treatment so we are reassured that nothing unexpected is happening. However, inevitably we worry about everything she is having to go through. As we have said before we just have to be patient and work with doctors here and in Texas to give Billie the best chance.

Please everyone keep your fingers crossed for her.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:30 am

Yes, all the best for Billie.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:49 am

Thankyou for the update Jean.....Everything crossed for Billie and her family...

foryou
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:09 am

My prayers are with Billie and her family.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 am

Hi All - Just a note to let you know that we raised over £5,000 on Friday night at our Butterfly Ball for Billie. My daughter was hoping for £2,000 and we far exceeded our expectations. We sold all of our 100 tickets, and made most of the money on a raffle and an auction, all the prizes were given to us by all the businesses in the area. Everyone had a good time, eating the food prepared by my number three daughter's boyfriend, having a few drinks and dancing to a live band.

The latest on Billie is that she has had a good two weeks. She has been going to school for a couple of hours each day, with close supervision. She was very low on potasium (?) so she is being fed lots of milk shakes and bananas through a tube in her nose. Her parents are in close touch with a family in America whose son has the same tumour, and he is on a much larger dosage of the drug than Billie, but Billie's doctors here in the UK won't up her dosage. So her parents are waiting to see the results of a scan the little boy is having next week, and if he is responding much better than Billie they will ask for her dosage to be increased.

So hopefully all the money that has been raised for her will take the pressure off her parents and give her the chance we are all hoping for.

Thanks again for your kind wishes.

jeanx

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 am

p.s. as far as that information I have told you about the family who had the intruder in Portugal, I still haven't been able to get in touch with the little girl's mum, but I will keep trying. I really want to know the exect details so that I can pass it on to the McCanns.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:52 pm

Yes jean, well done, you do that.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 am

jean wrote:p.s. as far as that information I have told you about the family who had the intruder in Portugal, I still haven't been able to get in touch with the little girl's mum, but I will keep trying. I really want to know the exect details so that I can pass it on to the McCanns.

Thanks Jean would be appreciated....

Positive news about Billie....keeping everything crossed...
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 am

Hi Cat - Still trying to get in touch with the mum re intruder. I have tried phoning during the day with no success, so will try one evening. Don't worry, I will keep trying.

Not heard anything new about Billie in the last week or so, only that she wanted to go to see her little cousin who was one last week but she wasn't well enough. Our £5,000 tipped the amount over the £200,000 mark, so hopefully that will take the pressure off the family as far as money is concerned.

jean
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:53 pm

Thank you for trying Jean....

It is heart warming to know that so many people care about a little one isn't it?
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top