Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

QLD Floods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

QLD Floods

Post by dianeh on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:52 am

The QLD Floods are ongoing, and the water is moving into Brisbane.

I no longer live in Brisbane but still have family and friends there. All are OK.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those that have lost loved ones, it has been truly heartbreaking to see the loss of live, especially the children. The stories are harrowing, and there has been so many near misses, so many lucky escapes.

Lets us hope and pray that no further loss of life occurs.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Re: QLD Floods

Post by jean on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:04 am

It looks absolutely horrific in Australia at the moment. There seems to be no end to the floods. I feel so sorry for the people who have lost everything, including the worst of all - their children. It really does make me feel glad to live in Cheshire, where we have no floods or any sort of adverse weather conditions. I can cope with the lack of sunshine in the summer - we just pack up and go to France, or similar, for two weeks. I hope the floods subside soon for you all.

jean
Master
Master

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Mulleena on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 am

Ive been following this disaster and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones and their whole livelihoods.
Its been described by our news readers as floods of biblical proportions and I think that sums it up.
I hope Brisbane escapes the worst of it and there is some let up in this appalling weather as soon as possible.

Mulleena
Learner
Learner

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I agree.

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 5571
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:44 pm

dianeh wrote:The QLD Floods are ongoing, and the water is moving into Brisbane.

I no longer live in Brisbane but still have family and friends there. All are OK.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those that have lost loved ones, it has been truly heartbreaking to see the loss of live, especially the children. The stories are harrowing, and there has been so many near misses, so many lucky escapes.

Lets us hope and pray that no further loss of life occurs.

Yes let's hope Beautiful rose
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinkerbell43 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 am

I've been watching this unfold on the news and I honestly cannot believe what I am seeing. One newscaster described it as an internal tsunami. My thoughts are with those that have lost loved ones, please god there is an end to these extreme conditions very soon.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1473
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

This broke my heart. This young man (he is so brave he doesnt deserve to be called a boy) was one of the first to die in the floods. He was caught in that wall of water that went through Toowoomba. Both he and his mother died.

He was only 13.
It is so very sad.

Take my brother first: heroic final act saves sibling A
manda Gearing and Natasha Bita From: The Australian January 13, 2011 12:00AM

A SCHOOLBOY who begged rescuers to save his little brother first is among a dozen people drowned.
Police are continuing to comb cars, trees, creeks and houses for trapped bodies.

Jordan Rice, 13, was sucked to his death with his 43-year-old mother Donna Rice moments after bystanders waded into raging floodwaters to save them.

His 16-year-old brother, Kyle, yesterday told how Jordan had insisted that the good Samaritans first rescue his 10-year-old brother Blake, as the family's white Mercedes swept along the torrent that tore through Toowoomba's main street on Monday.

"He loved his family and he would do anything for them," Kyle told The Australian.

"He was real shy with everyone else; wouldn't say a word.

"But courage kicked in, and he would rather his little brother would live."

One of the rescuers, Warren McErlean, choked back tears as he recounted yesterday how little Blake begged him to save his mother as he was being rescued.

"He was just pleading with me: 'Please save my mum, just back, and I could see his face."

Jordan had been set to start high school in a fortnight.

Mr Tyson said his partner Donna, the mother of his four children and the "love of my life", had died trying to save Jordan from drowning.

"Donna and Jordan were holding on to the rope together when it broke, and they floated downstream together," Mr Tyson said.

"They both clung to a tree and when Jordan couldn't hang on any more Donna let go and tried to save him. The last thing she did was to try to save her son. She would go without to give her boys everything. She was the most incredible person; she loved me for what I was and I loved her."

Mr McErlean said Ms Rice had placed Blake on the back of another rescuer, whose identity is not known, who passed him to Mr McErlean. But when they tried to pull back the remaining pair with a rope, "there was just no time".

"The tension took up on the rope and I had to let it go," he said.

"They were just gone.

"It's just terrible. I just kept telling the boy it was going to be all right and it wasn't, and I'm just very, very sorry for him and his family that I couldn't do some more."

Mr Tyson thanked the rescuers last night, saying they ought to be awarded for bravery.

"I want to thank them both from the bottom of my heart," Mr Tyson said.

"They have given my son back. If they hadn't rescued Blake, I would have lost all three."

The official death toll rose to 12 yesterday amid warnings it was almost certain to rise further. The bodies of two men were discovered in the Lockyer Valley yesterday afternoon, one at a home at Grantham and another in a creek at Lyons Bridge.

This is the young man, his name is Jordan Rice.

I have shed a number of tears over this boy, and the others that have died. The young 4 yo boy near Gatton that fell out of the rescue boat, the mother and children trapped in their car, the father missing as his wife and child were rescued from the roof of their car. It is horrendous and it is not over yet, more deaths will be found. They are expecting that a couple of families have perished as they were in the area hardest hit and they cant be found. These families have children.

Last edited by dianeh on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added Jordan's picture.)
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluj1515 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:16 pm

I've been following the story also, it's horrific. It's so sad.
bluj1515
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1017
Registration date : 2009-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro Silva on Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Very sad indeed.
tissues

Pedro Silva
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 5571
Registration date : 2008-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Awww what a selfless lad ...How sad and heartbreaking to be so near to being rescued - then not walkinghomecrying
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluj1515 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm

The story about the boy was the headline on CNN today, on the American version of the website.
bluj1515
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Saw the man on TV who tried to rescue him -but couldn't....he was truly gutted. How awful for him.. ..thats something he'll never forget.walkinghomecrying
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jean on Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

What a gorgeous boy. What a b....dy waste.

Last edited by jean on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

jean
Master
Master

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2008-12-11

Back to top Go down

Post by erngath on Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 pm

It's been heart-breaking to watch the devastation and hear all the tragic stories.
My thoughts and praers are with them all.

erngath
Rookie
Rookie

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 am

Here are some photos of Kerang, which is in NW Victoria. They came close to going under. See the straight lines around the town, against the water, that is the levees that saved the town. The water has receeded a bit , but is still quite high. This water is still making its way to Swan Hill and into the Murray, which is upstream from where I live. As yet, the various govt mismanagement departments cant tell us how high a flood we are going to get here, either for the Murray or the Darling. So we have no idea what to expect in my home town. We have those damn big levees around our town as well.

dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 am

YIKES ! Hope you stay dry xx
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluj1515 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I hope everything went well for you, Diane. And your mum, too, since she's been ill. Very scary, very troubling, the floods in Australia... so gigantic and uncontrollable. A close friend's brother was traveling just last week to study abroad right in Queensland! Makes my snow complaints seem like nothing
bluj1515
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:07 pm

The river at my back door rose about a foot yesterday but has stopped rising today. We will be having a flood with the river going up and down (mostly up though) for the next three months. The water is about two feet up the levee bank now.

We had a heap of rain on Friday and Saturday, Im not sure how much about 150 mm according to the television but I think we had a little bit less than that. The nearest city which is very close had that amount, they had 55 mm in 50 mins with flash flooding. That is very unusual for us as it is very flat here. The highway to Melbourne was closed in 2 places, and streets flooded, houses flooded, shops flooded and there were 400 calls to the SES.

My brother was having a few problems as his house is lower than the surrounding houses but he managed to keep the water out with sandbags (he had water in his house a few weeks ago). We had the front yard turn into a swimming pool and a bit of water under the house, but since we have done some work on the drains because of the last lot of heavy rain (from the lows that caused the Brisbane and QLD floods), we were quite happy with the result. But saying that we couldnt get our cars out of the garage and onto the road, so had to stay home (well we could have got the 4WD out but the car seats for the kids are not in at the moment so couldnt take them, so didnt go anywhere).

It has stopped raining today, although still overcast and the ground is saturated. On Friday it was 38 degrees before it rained (remember it is in celcius) and today it was only 20. ON Wed it was 43 degrees, and it was hot as hell. Today I have my tracksuit pants and jumper on, and last night slept under a blanket.

A guy I used to work with (he left the company last year) had his house in Brisbane flooded. He has (or had) a two story brick veneer house and it had water to the roof. You may have seen it on the news, as I am told it was the shot where there were just roofs sticking out of the water for a whole subdivision/suburb. Honestly, the council want sueing over this, as planning permission should never have been granted onto land that will flood to that extent.

Everything is going great for us, as far as the flood is concerned.

Bluj, your snow and ice storm looks to be pretty terrible. Very dangerous.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Catkins on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:09 pm

Glad you and yours are doing OK Dianeh...Poor Oz see Western area has forest fires now.....WHAT NEXT ?
Catkins
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bluj1515 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:47 pm

Glad to hear that at least you weren't too badly done by the floods, Diane.

Yes, they can be, but they don't have that helpless/unstoppable quality that flooding does - having been through both, and a couple of hurricanes, I'll take the snow and ice every time. The ice is actually worse than the snow. It snows and weakens the trees and branches, and then the freezing rain/ice comes and cements it all, and the trees break... that's how people get injured. And of course this is the States and no one will stop working, and no one wants to be the first to leave, and so everyone gets stuck in the snow commuting and that makes it impossible for the cities to plow and prepare - and they cut the snow budgets, so everyone is understaffed and underprepared. Hopefully it is over.
bluj1515
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top