Justice 4 ALL Madeleine McCann Family
You need to be a member of this forum in order to view its entire contents.
We welcome applications to join the forum from genuine caring compassionate people that wish to support Mr Mrs McCann in their never ending resolve to finding their daughter Madeleine and bringing her back home where she truly belongs.

All applicants are checked out so people with no sense, no moral compass, no rationality and only half a brain cell and even less grip on reality and who are devoid of all logic - need NOT apply!
This also applies to ex-members, who no longer want to be members, yet spend their lives viewing this forum and telling people they no longer want to be members.
This is said without prejudice with no one in particular in mind.

McCanns drop libel case against Portuguese tabloid

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by clairesy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:17 pm

By Tom Worden
Thursday, August 20, 2009

GERRY
and Kate McCann have dropped a libel case against the Portuguese
newspaper which first linked them to the disappearance of their
daughter Madeleine.
The couple were suing weekly tabloid
Tal & Qual over an August 2007 article headlined "Police believe
the parents killed Maddie".

The front page story caused a
sensation around the world, as it was the first suggestion detectives
were treating the McCanns as suspects.

This week the McCanns
withdrew their defamation action after being advised the paper had a
strong defence under Portuguese law.

It could argue the story
was published in good faith, as senior police officers did at the time
believe the McCanns may have been implicated.

A source close to the couple confirmed the defamation action against the newspaper and two journalists had been dropped.

The source said the McCanns want to concentrate instead on their €1.16
million case against Goncalo Amaral, the disgraced former head of the
Madeleine investigation.
This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, August 20, 2009
Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/business/mccanns-drop-libel-case-against-portuguese-tabloid-99039.html#ixzz0OgJxZh8F
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 2698
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Back to top Go down

Re: McCanns drop libel case against Portuguese tabloid

Post by clairesy on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:22 pm

The source said the McCanns want to concentrate instead on their €1.16
million case against Goncalo Amaral, the disgraced former head of the
Madeleine investigation.

oooooooo gonc shaking in his boots i bet!!! Ididn'tdoit Ididn'tdoit

glad to hear they are dropping that case.If the paper can be seen to be acting on good source(the Portuguese did believe them to be guilty) then they will end up losing a lot of money fighting them in court.Gonc is who they need to get.Hes the one whos caused all this mayhem in the first place.After gonc comes TB hopfully!!! moony moony
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:25 pm

I think that paper went out of publication some time ago and this is a fabrication to cause confusion and throw doubt on the events taking place atm.

Back to top Go down

Post by calcite51 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:07 pm

I agree Mulleena - that paper did go out of publication some time ago and I think the Portuguese rules make it very difficult to successfully sue. I hope they do go after Gonc.
calcite51
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 830
Registration date : 2008-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by vee8 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:49 pm

I think this is just a new twist on an old story. I am sure they announced that shortly after they were first made arguido's.
vee8
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3113
Registration date : 2008-06-24

http://www.madeleine-adestinybegun.co.uk

Back to top Go down

WARNING TO OTHERS!

Post by Royal on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:41 am

Ah well, not to worry, at least it is a warning to others, "Don't mess with us or else!....."
Alroy.

Royal
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by vee8 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:46 am

Similar to the previous report, but with one important diference!

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... paper.html]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... paper.html[/url]

Gerry and Kate McCann have dropped a libel case against the Portuguese newspaper which first linked them to the disappearance of their daughter Madeleine.

By Murray Wardrop
Published: 7:00AM BST 20 Aug 2009

The couple were suing weekly the tabloid Tal & Qual over an article in August 2007 headlined "Police believe the parents killed Maddie".

The front page story caused a sensation around the world, as it was the first suggestion that detectives were treating the McCanns as suspects.

This week the couple, from Rothley, Leics, withdrew their defamation action after being advised that the newspaper had a strong defence under Portuguese law.

It could argue the story was published in good faith because senior police officers did at the time believe the McCanns may have been implicated in the case.

A source close to the couple confirmed that the defamation action against the newspaper and two journalists had been dropped.

The source said the McCanns want to concentrate instead on their £1 million case against Goncalo Amaral, the former head of the Madeleine investigation.

They also suspect Amaral may have been behind the story in Tal & Qual, which has since folded.

The source said: "The libel action against Tal & Qual has been dropped for a number of reasons. Firstly, the newspaper went bust some time ago.

"Secondly Tal & Qual could probably have mounted a defence, as they were reporting what a certain police officer believed at the time.

"Kate and Gerry have been advised it is much better to go for the source of the story.

"When the story first came out it was a huge shock for Kate and Gerry and they did not believe it was true."

The Tal & Qual article was published three months after Madeleine went missing during a family holiday in Praia da Luz, on the Algarve.

It claimed that detectives believed the parents had either caused a fatal accident or had given drugs to their daughter.

Lawyers representing the McCanns filed a writ against the newspaper, its editor Emidio Fernando, and reporter Catarina Vaz Guerreiro.

But two weeks later the couple, both doctors, were sensationally named as "arguidos" or formal suspects in the case.

Deluded chief investigator Goncalo Amaral wrongly believed they had covered up their three-year-old daughter´s death, even though there was no evidence to support his theory.

He was later taken off the case, which was eventually archived and remains unsolved.

In July 2008 the McCanns were cleared of any wrongdoing in a formal report by Portugal´s Attorney General Jose Pinto Monteiro.

They have always believed their daughter was abducted.

Mr Fernando said: "I had total faith in the source and was certain the police were looking at the couple.

"It's not a victory, because I never saw this as a war. I was, as I am today, totally calm about what I wrote."

Gerry and Kate McCann´s spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "This is a matter for Kate and Gerry´s lawyers in consultation with Kate and Gerry, of course."

Amaral, 49, went on to make more than £1 million by writing a book repeating his outlandish claims.

The McCanns are suing him for at least £1 million for defamation and for breaching their human rights.

They have employed one of Portugal´s leading libel lawyers, Isabel Duarte, in a case expected to be heard in Lisbon next summer.

If they win they will use the money to continue the search for Madeleine, who would now be six.

The Find Madeleine Fund, set up to finance the couple's worldwide search for their daughter, is expected to run out of money by the end of the year, it was reported this week.

The McCanns also plan to sue the group behind a leaflet blaming them for Madeleine´s disappearance.

The couple were "deeply upset" by the fliers, produced by a group called the "Madeleine Foundation", which has accused them of neglect.

The leaflets were received by 10,000 people in the McCann's home village of Rothley.
vee8
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosie on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am

Amazing what different slants are put on these stories.

They would have a hard time suing a newspaper that no longer existed!

They are going after Goncalo Amaral, who is behind the story leaked to the newspaper and they have an excellent case.

Now I wonder when they will announce they are going t sue Bennett and Butler over that defamatory hate leaflet?

I think it is telling this story has come out now, it is making me wonder what will follow it and also I expect to see Bennett, Butler, Grenville Green and Helene Davies-Green, taken in for questioning over that obscene leaflet drop and then charged!

"RICARDO PAIVA SHOULD RESIGN, HIS POSITION IS UNTENABLE - IF HE DOES NOT RESIGN, THEN SACK HIM!
Rosie
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4358

Back to top Go down

Post by calcite51 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:04 am

I believe the Telegraph has been very accurate in the past on reporting on Madeleine. So, I'm assuming they are accurate in the latest news. Good, I'm glad they're calling Amaral deluded and Debbie and Tony - you'd better not lie, you'd better not hide - they're coming for YOU!!
calcite51
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 830

Back to top Go down

Post by vee8 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 am

Sounds so good, I think I'll repeat it!

The McCanns also plan to sue the group behind a leaflet blaming them for Madeleine´s disappearance.

The couple were "deeply upset" by the fliers, produced by a group called the "Madeleine Foundation", which has accused them of neglect.

The leaflets were received by 10,000 people in the McCann's home village of Rothley.
vee8
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:40 am

Why does the first article say this.

This week the McCanns
withdrew their defamation action after being advised the paper had a
strong defence under Portuguese law.

But fails to say that the paper has gone out of business. Even if the parent company is still in operation, there may be legal reasons making it very difficult to sue. It may also have been a stand alone company which is now totally defunct.

Just saying that this first article is a bit slanted.

And just to say, I did make the observation that the McCanns refusal to comment on the Madeleine Foundation was not a reflection of the action they would or would not take against them. Only a fool would take that the 'no comment' to mean no legal action.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465

Back to top Go down

Post by clairesy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:53 am

not sure but other papers are saying similar things,there are about 3 others reporting this to.Maybe they are just going with the flow jo! But yes it sounded familiar to me when i read it,so it could be old news,but why bring that back up now?
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dianeh on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:54 am

The important thing here to me, is that they have not dropped the libel case against Amaral.

As for the M Foundation (I dont want to associate that wonderful child with THOSE people), Tick Tock, Tick Tock.
dianeh
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 3465

Back to top Go down

Post by clairesy on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:06 am

dianeh wrote:The important thing here to me, is that they have not dropped the libel case against Amaral.

As for the M Foundation (I dont want to associate that wonderful child with THOSE people), Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

clapping thumbsup2 clapping thumbsup2 clapping
clairesy
Grand Member
Grand Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peaceful1 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:51 pm

Bring it on! Roll on the day we see TB and his hate filled mob brought to justice, then we will see real justice done.
Priority is Madeleine.
They can wait a while longer to get these ba*stards to court.
Peaceful1
Grand Member
Grand Member

Number of posts : 1104
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

CASE DROPPED

Post by Royal on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm

In my opinion the tabloid would probably suggest they were simply stating the view of the police and that it was not necessarilly their own view of the situation! However, under Portuguese law the PJ were not allowed to divulge details of the investigation even to the Press and so in theory they were wrong to quote the police's unofficial 'opinion's or findings publicly as theoretically they did not exist and were not available for general discussion. Even so it was generally known and accepted that certain members of the PJ were "alegedly" passing on 'unsubstantiated' evidence to the papers for profit or reward which enabled the newspapers to publish these totally "untrue" stories! Portuguese law must have strange ways of looking at things as in my opinion the Tabloid had without doubt printed libelous statements!
Alroy.

Royal
Star Poster
Star Poster

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2008-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top